I made this cake for the first time last night and it was amazing. I love using fresh lemon juice in my recipes. The addition of chia seeds changes this recipe from simply a decadent cake to a protein-filled, energy boosting, super-food cake!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- the juice of 2 lemons
- the grated rind of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup soaked chia seeds
Optional glaze recipe:
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. (I am in a higher elevation so this may vary)
- Place chia seeds in a bowl and submerge in water.
- Use coconut oil to prep the sides and bottom of a single 9 x 5 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour with baking powder, baking soda, ginger, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the coconut oil and the sugar, for about a minute until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the cornstarch, vanilla, and lemon juice, zest, and beat until the mixture is smooth for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until smooth after each addition.
- Mix the soaked chia seeds into the batter and blend well.
- Pour the batter into the oiled pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Check if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick in the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean, or with a few crumbs sticking, it is done.
- Cool until you can handle the pan with your hands.
Make the optional citrus glaze:
- Melt the sugar with the lemon juice in a small saucepan.
- Turn off when it comes to a boil.
- Brush the glaze on top of your cake.
- Let it cool before slicing.