Fettuccine Alfredo is one of the most recognizable and decadent Italian dishes. A beautiful yet humble combination of pasta, butter, and cheese, this dish is rich! So what does one do to replicate this deliciousness when you no longer eat most of the ingredients used in the original dish? Not one to give up easily, I looked in my cabinets to see what ingredients I could combine to create my own creamy Italian sauce.
Recently, I had an excess of walnuts leftover from a baking binge and wondered how I could create a sauce using them as a base similar to what I do with my traditional plant-based vegan mac and cheese recipe. I hope you enjoy my plant-based vegan Alfredo sauce!
- 1 cup of shelled walnuts
- 1 cup of water
- 2 TBSP of Tapioca Flour
- 1 TBSP Nutritional Yeast
- 1 TSP of garlic powder
- 1/2 TSP of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 TSP of Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 box of pasta
- Vegetables of your choice! I used arugula and peas in this dish
- Soak walnuts in water for 2 hours.
- Drain walnuts and place in a Vitamix with 1 cup of water.
- Blend on high until all ingredients are mixed.
- Pour the mixture into a small pot or pan on low heat.
- Add Tapioca flour, garlic powder, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Mix slowly over low heat until you reached desired consistency.
- Add more tapioca powder if you would like to thicken it.
- Boil water for pasta and cook until desired tenderness.
- Drain and add to the walnut mixture.
- At this point, I usually fold in the vegetables and salt and pepper to taste.